With 2019 starting, plans to achieve goals are just as important as goal setting itself. My own goals for 2019 aren’t that different from my goals in 2018. I still aim to improve myself as a writer, as an artist and as a reviewer. Publishing the second book in my series is still my top priority as well. But something I noticed was that instilling the habits in myself to achieve these goals was far more difficult than I expected. To achieve the goals, my partner suggested that learning to instill better habits would help me far more than anything else.
With the focus of habits in mind, not only do I plan to build these habits but I also want to get rid of the habits that are hindering me. Rather than always having YouTube in the background or playing video games for hours (I lost myself to Assassins Creed Odyssey over the holidays), I want to limit myself to a few hours a week. I think it’s unreasonable to completely cut off these fun and sometimes useful mediums as we all need a break here and there. In limiting myself, I’m hoping that my focus on writing, drawing and reading will improve.
The current hope is that at the minimum I’m able to do the following :
- At least 1 hr of writing everyday
- At least 1 hr of drawing everyday
- At least 1 hr of reading everyday
- Only 30 min of YouTube a day
- Video Games only on Sunday Mornings (I find Sunday mornings are my lazy mornings).
- 30 min of Meditation a day, Healthy Eating, not eating out and going to the gym 2 to 3 times a week. A healthy body leads to a healthy and creative mind 🙂
What I’m hoping this will translate into for this blog is:
1 Book Review every two weeks.
- I feel like this will allow me to read some of the larger books out there. Currently I limit myself to books that are 400 to 500 pages at the very most, but with an additional week I feel that the range of books I can read can expand. What I also hope this will do is allow me more time to really think about the book I read and give it time to simmer before writing and posting a review.
1 Article on Writing and Story Telling every other week.
- In all of the Book Reviews I’ve written and the hours I’ve spent studying story telling mechanics, I feel that writing out what I’ve learned and noticed may not just benefit myself, but anyone reading this blog too.
1 Art Piece every month.
- This one I feel is going to be a challenge for me. I’ve been drawing and practicing digital art for the last 15 years but only in the past 3 years have I really made dramatic progress with it. I was very proud of the cover I did for the 2nd edition of my book and I want to build on that momentum. Hopefully this goal will help me to push myself to constantly improve (as well as justify buying a new drawing tablet).
This is my plan for the New Year and I hope that you all have a happy and prosperous 2019 as well!! 🙂